Sunday, October 28, 2012

Changes & Flowers

A kindred got engaged over the weekend.  The first of us "Romantics" to go, and not something I was in any way prepared for.  I have been processing this since Friday; seeing her today helped make everything seem more real.  Still, somehow seeing a fellow free spirit with a striking rock on her hand is altogether shocking...and so symbolic.  We exchanged several tear-filled looks over brunch that conveyed more than words ever could.  My heart is full for her and her future joy.  Yet, nothing will ever be quite the same way again.  It is the way things go.

On my way to meet her, I stopped to pick up flowers as a small engagement gift.  I wanted something small, graceful, yet vibrant.  I had hoped for a single flower that would summarize everything, but nothing stood out enough on it's own.  I browsed for several minutes alone in the very cold room which the flowers all resided in.  After a time, an older woman joined me and we eyed up the colorful wares in silence.  Then, looking at the iris in my hand, and the buckets of flowers surrounding us, she commented "It doesn't get any better than this, does it?"  I could only agree.  I told her the occasion for the flowers, and she told me that she was an artist...I asked her to help me in my selections.  I had already chosen the iris, and a tapered sprig of pale purple flowers...she said that an orange would perfectly off-set the blues, and we eventually chose a burnt orange rose to join the others.  Our exchange was brief, but it made all the difference.  I think you find people of like-mind in unexpected places, but most especially around flowers.


Everyone is growing up and going away, it seems...the time is NOW to treasure these golden moments of youth and freedom.  Thursday and Friday are All Saints Day and All Souls Day...a bonfire celebration may just have to happen. 


1 comment:

  1. this affected me deeply. i feel knit to april, because i am knit to you and reggie and you assured me we would connect. i believe you. i'm terrified now and will be jubilant over who will be next. i'm having such a hard time seeing my dearest be married because it sends me into a tizzy of the varying ways our bond remains and changes.

    i adore your encounter in the flower shop. you with your boundless eyes.

    ReplyDelete